Breaking News

Father of a child who drowned in the dry speaks of tragedy:I do not want anyone to go through what I,m going through


The father of a 4-year-old Hispanic boy who "drowned in the wind" last Saturday is struggling hard to understand what happened to his son, and to be able to get by after the tragedy that has engulfed his family In Houston, Texas.

"We had never heard [of" drowning in the dry "]. He had too much water in his lungs and that's what sent him to heaven, "Frankie Delgado told People about his son, Frankie Delgado III. "I love my son so much. My son was my best friend. We played every day. Now I can no longer play with him, "he lamented.

The shocking death of the boy happened almost a week after Frankie and his family had gone swimming at the Texas City Dike breakwater during Memorial Day weekend (May 28). Delgado and his son were accompanied by his wife, Tara, and their 3 daughters.

On how the tragedy happened, the father explains that at some point in the walk, the child was in the water at a height that reached his knees, when suddenly a big wave came and knocked him down. The father believes that was the time when his son inhaled the water that was lodged in his lungs.

The days after the walk, the child spent his waking up at night, with vomiting and diarrhea. "If he was returning his stomach, vomiting, there is nothing out of the ordinary in that," said the father. "We did not think Frankie was going to die or anything like that."


The night before the boy's death, he and his father stayed to sleep at their aunt's house. There, says Delgado, the boy began to complain of pains in one shoulder. At one point, the child woke up suddenly.

"He just grabbed his chest and screamed. He took a deep breath and his eyes fell back, then he lay down [on the bed], "the father says. "Then I got up and said 'Frankie, get up!' Suddenly he exhaled. I lifted his shirt but I could not see his chest moving. "

The boy was rushed to the East Houston Regional Medical Center where doctors explained to the family that he had stayed for about an hour without oxygen in the brain. Frankie passed away shortly after leaving the family in shock.

"Me and my wife have run out of words. I do not want anyone to go through what I'm going through, "said the troubled father to People. "I will not take my kids back to the beaches, [water] ponds or lakes ... I can not deal with this again."