Breaking News

Charlie Peña squirts Chicano pride with his prom dress

Charlie Peña, 18, became a viral phenomenon by sharing a Twitter photo of his prom dress. And the Chicano student showed pride in his roots by wearing a typical Mexican dress for the party at his Cypress Falls High School in Houston, Texas. He spoke with Mitú, the multichannel network on YouTube, about the incredible support reaction he received. Not only was Peña proud to be Chicano, he also defended his sexual identity. Peña is considered part of the non-binary gender, which means that it is not identified with the male or female gender.

"Being non-binary means that I do not identify with the binary man / woman. I am gender-neutral, which means that my gender identity varies over time, "Peña told Mitu. "I do not fit into a certain set of pronouns either. They do not care. However, that does not mean that other people who identify themselves as non-binary feel the same. It all depends on the person and what he/she feels comfortable with. "


He also hit the dress he wore that he bought at a swap meet. "Many kids in my school make fun of it because they consider it 'ghetto' or too much 'chunti'. I like to go because there is so much to see and honestly I can not find quality guaraches anywhere else, "he says of this at the market. "I remember walking around with my mom looking for a fruit stand and I saw the dress on a mannequin. I looked at my mom and I said, "That's it, that's my dress." I tried it and I knew it was. I bought it at the moment. "


Some people advised him not to wear it, but he ignored it. "I find beauty in tradition. Although I love the idea of ​​going all glamorous in a gala dress, it's not really me. I like to honor my culture in events like these. We are living in an era when the political climate makes things difficult for Latinos, "he added. "We are being stigmatized in the media by our president. We are people who deserve respect. " Apparently Pena was happy with her dress and the night of his class was fun. "We ended up having dinner at Taco Bell, Which was more than good, "he said.

No comments